This dish is dedicated to those who have decided that creatures of the sea are friends not food! This artichoke crabless cakes recipe is a fantastic substitute for a seafood favorite. Enjoy your favorite flavors while respecting our planets oceans!
I enjoy these crabless cakes as an appetizer dipped in tartar sauce or as a main dish served over a quinoa with a side of sautéed vegetables. Regardless of how this dish is served, it is guaranteed to impress!
For a fabulous Mediterranean meal, try serving your artichoke crabless cakes with a side of our Greek quinoa salad recipe.
Prep Time and Serving Size
Total time: about 20 minutes
Number of servings: 2
Serving size: 4 artichoke crabless cakes
Equipment and Utensils
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large mixing bowl
- Food processor
- Large nonstick pan
- Medium bowl
- Mixing spoon
Ingredients For Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon of dried dill
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Ingredients For Artichoke Crabless Cakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 14-ounce can of quartered artichoke hearts
- 1/3 cup of canned whole kernel corn
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of vegan tartar sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
Directions For Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Place vegan mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, dill, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- Stir ingredients well until they are well combined.
- Store the tartar sauce in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Directions For Artichoke Crabless Cakes Recipe
- Combine chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water in a large mixing bowl. Allow the chia seeds to soak until the water is absorbed.
- Strain and rinse the artichoke hearts.
- Strain and rinse the canned corn.
- Combine the artichoke hearts and corn in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Add the chopped artichoke hearts and corn to the large mixing bowl with the chia seeds.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Old Bay seasoning, and 3 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise to the large mixing bowl with the chia seeds, artichoke hearts, and corn.
- Mix the ingredients in the large mixing bowl thoroughly until everything is well combined.
- Using your hands, form the artichoke mixture into 8 patties, each about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the artichoke crabless cakes on a plate and refrigerate them for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat cooking oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, remove the artichoke crabless cakes from the refrigerator and place them in the pan. I recommend cooking as many crabless cakes at once as you can fit in your pan.
- Cook each crabless cake until it is golden brown. This should take about 5 minutes on each side.
- Use the spatula to flip each crabless cake and allow the other side of the patty to cook until golden brown.
- Transfer crabless cakes to the plate. Serve on the side of a whole grain and sauteed vegetable for a decadent and healthy meal! The vegan tartar sauce can be served on the side as a dipping sauce or drizzled over the artichoke crabless cakes.
Be sure to check out our other vegan recipes.