Creamy, crunchy, delicious, and nutritious! This chickpea salad pita recipe makes a wonderfully healthy wrap that is easy to eat on the go.
Total time: about 15 minutes
Serving size: ½ pita with ~ ¼ cup filling
Number of servings: 6
- Open a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse them. Transfer rinsed chickpeas to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork until all whole beans are mashed, but the mixture remains a little chunky.
- Wash the lemon and two celery ribs.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from ½ the lemon over the mashed chickpeas.
- Finely chop the celery ribs into thin pieces and add them to the chickpea mixture.
- Add vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and sweet pickle relish to the chickpea mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut the whole wheat pita bread in half to create 2 pita pocket halves.
- Open each pita pocket and stuff about ½ handful of arugula and ¼ cup scoop of the chickpea salad mixture into the pocket.