Our Quick and Easy Dal Recipe is a convenient, healthy, vegan dish that goes great with brown rice and bread and packs a hearty, protein-filled punch.
My favorite kinds of bread to eat it with are roti or naan bread, although pita bread, flatbread, and tortillas work in a pinch as well. Also, roti bread is almost always vegan, whereas naan bread traditionally contains dairy products; so, if you are at an Indian restaurant and order bread, roti is almost always a safe bet.
I also typically like to serve it with a salad. A quick and easy salad that goes great with just about anything is our Asian Kale Salad Recipe.
What makes this dal recipe so convenient is that all the ingredients and equipment can be ordered online. We order all the ingredients in bulk on Amazon. Plus, the ingredients all have a long shelf life. So, if you stock your cupboards with this stuff, you’ll be able to make this Quick and Easy Dal Recipe when you are at a loss for what to cook!
We’ve included links for all the ingredients below. These are all the same ingredients we order and use in our household.
Prep Time and Serving Size
Total time: about 15 minutes
Serving size: about ½ cup
Number of servings: 6
Equipment and Utensils
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups of dried red lentils
- 15 ounce can of coconut milk
- ½ tbsp. of curry powder
- 1 tsp. of turmeric
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp. sugar
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add lentils and coconut milk.
- Return mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the lentils have softened.
- Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, ginger, salt, pepper, and sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve on brown rice or with flatbread or a whole wheat tortilla.
Be sure to check out our other vegan recipes.