This vegan crystal rolls recipe is a delicious and healthy alternative to the classic spring roll. While spring rolls are typically fried, a crystal roll is simply rice paper wrapped around your fillings of choice.
The real star of this recipe is the peanut dipping sauce. This sauce is not only a delicious dip, it works great as a stir-fry sauce, or even as a salad dressing. I use it every chance I get!
This vegan crystal rolls recipe is intended as a general guide to the art of crystal rolls. I encourage you to run with it and make your own creations!
Prep Time And Serving Size
Total time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 2 crystal rolls
Number of servings: 3
Equipment And Utensils
Ingredients For Vegan Crystal Rolls Recipe
- 6 Large (8” diameter) rice paper
- 1 package vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 2 avocados
Ingredients For Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¾ cup coconut milk
Directions For Vegan Crystal Rolls Recipe
- Prepare the peanut dipping sauce. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until it is smooth.
- Drain the tofu and cut the tofu lengthwise into rectangles approximately ½ inch thick.
- Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Place tofu strips in a hot pan and cook both sides until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot and submerge the vermicelli noodles. Simmer for about 4 minutes until soft.
- Drain the vermicelli noodles, rinse them with cold water and set aside.
- Wash the bell pepper, cucumber, and carrot.
- Remove the bell pepper core and discard.
- Cut the bell pepper into thin matchsticks.
- Cut the cucumber in half. Cut each half into planks about ¼ inch thick. Cut the cucumber planks into thin matchsticks.
- Shred the carrot using the large holes of a grater or using a vegetable peeler. You can also slice it into thin matchsticks similar to the cucumber.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop out thin slices, approximately 5-6 slices per avocado half.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water. (As hot as you can stand to touch with your bare hands.)
- Submerge 1 sheet of rice paper in hot water for about 10 seconds. It should become soft but not soggy. Prevent the rice paper from folding onto itself.
- Place the soft rice paper on a cutting board and put fillings in the center of the rice paper leaving room at the ends to fold in. I recommend 1 strip of tofu, 1-2 avocado slices, 4 red pepper matchsticks, 4 cucumber matchsticks, a pinch of shredded carrot, and a pinch of vermicelli noodles. You can fill the rice paper more or less as desired.
- Roll the rice paper around the filling. Start by folding in the edges on top of the fillings. Then take one end of the roll and gently tuck it under the fillings. Roll it into the shape of a burrito. Warning! This step can be challenging and will take some practice. Don’t be too hard on yourself!
- Repeat steps 14 through 16 until you have 6 beautiful rolls.
- Serve immediately with peanut dipping sauce.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our other great vegan recipe ideas!